Toby "Radiation" Fox (born October 11, 1991), also known as FwugRadiation, is a music composer and game developer. He developed the critically acclaimed RPG Undertale and produced its soundtrack in 2015. His avatar is the Annoying Dog.
Along with being the main developer and composer of the game, Fox is credited with the conception of the following characters;
- Vegetoid (with Temmie)
- Papyrus (with Temmie, special inspiration by JN Wiedle)
- Sans (special inspiration by JN Wiedle)
- Gyftrot (possibly)
- Dogamy and Dogaressa (possibly)
- Lesser Dog (with Temmie)
- Greater Dog (with Temmie)
- Undyne (design only)
- Alphys (design)
- Mad Dummy
- Mad Mew Mew (With Temmie and Gigi D.G.)
- Mettaton (special inspiration by Bob Sparker, Sarah, and JN Wiedle)
- Royal Guards
- Final Froggit
- Knight Knight
Fox originally started out as a forum member at the EarthBound fansite, Starmen.Net, under the alias "Radiation" where he managed the website's PK Hack forum up until 2011. He first entered the public eye with his infamous "EarthBound Halloween Hack", also known as "Press the B Button, Stupid!", which was a submission for Starmen.Net's 2008 Halloween Funfest.
- Toby Fox has visited this wiki's Dog Residue article and commented on a piece of misinformation on the Papyrus article claiming that the character was inspired by Octopimp.
- Toby Fox is embarrassed by his Halloween Hack and has dubbed it "bad ROM hack with swears".
- Although Toby Fox's official website's content was replaced with a link to the UNDERTALE website, a part of it with music composed by Toby still exists. For some reason, the name "musics" in the URL is misspelled "msuics".
- The program Toby Fox used to make the music of Undertale was FL Studio. According to music tags in the beta version of Stronger Monsters from his website and the tracks he made for Temmie Chang's RPG, he uses FL Studio 10.
- The copyright on Undertale and Deltarune is registered to "Robert F. Fox," and Toby's Halloween Hack was credited to Robert "Toby" Fox, suggesting that Toby's birth name might be Robert Fox.
- Toby Fox and Temmie Chang animated a commercial for Kenny Omega when he went to go fight in Japan. The commercial uses music used in Undertale and is stylised as Undertale's gameplay.
- If you're going to post pictures of me, just make it this one. - Toby Fox (@tobyfox) on Twitter, January 31, 2016.
- Art club day. It's easy to remember because I made it right before my birthday. - Toby Fox (@tobyfox) on Twitter, October 10, 2017.
- "Okay, finally finished. After wayyy over 140 hours (I spent hours every day since 9-12, yeah some days I didn’t do stuff but some days I was up until 12 since after school) I have finished my hack. Eeeeek." - Toby Fox. November 1, 2008. Starmen.Net.
- "This is the censored version of my hack. Technically they are exactly the same except for some swears near the end, but if you don't mind or are judging, I highly suggest you play the version provided at the following URL: http://forum.starmen.net/forum_attachments/0007/0301/radiationhalloweenhack.zip Otherwise, this hack is NOT appropriate for you." - Toby Fox. November 6, 2008. Starmen.Net. Halloween Funfest 2008.
- Today is Halloween, so it’s a good time to post some Halloweeny stuff! So my obvious choice was Radiation’s Halloween hack of EarthBound from last year. - EarthBound Halloween Hack! (October 31, 2009.) EarthBound Central.
- @andrewhussie THANKS ANDREW!!! and i said it before but thanks for letting me start making undertale in your basement - Toby Fox (@tobyfox) on Twitter, September 15, 2015. Archived on May 04, 2016.
- "Actually, yes, he literally spent a period of time developing Undertale in my basement. I have always assumed this is why he titled the game as such." - Andrew Hussie. December 25, 2015. Kickstarter.
- about me - @FwugRadiation on Twitter, November 02, 2015. [deleted]
- uhhhhhhhh........ no LOL? deconfirmed? - @FwugRadiation on Twitter, November 02, 2015. Archived on November 16, 2015.
- "Going off the information given, I was banned from the Undertale Wiki yesterday (Nov. 2nd, 2015) for adding false information to page for the character Papyrus, where I added to the Trivia section that he was based off the YouTube Octopimp. Alongside the claim, I provided a link to a now-defunct live stream for the YouTube channel Game Grumps. However, yesterday, the creator of Undertale, Toby Fox, said on Twitter that this wasn't true, with Octopimp later following suit and also saying it was false. I was later banned from Undertale Wiki for adding said false information, with the accusation from replies to Toby's tweet that I was a troll." - GamingFanatic. November 4, 2015. Wikia.
- Fan theories are fun but I feel embarrassed whenever someone calls attention to something I did when I was 16 - Toby Fox (@tobyfox) on Twitter, February 09, 2016. Archived on June 29, 2016.
- I guess I should just accept "bad rom hack with swears" as part of my eternal legacy - Toby Fox (@tobyfox) on Twitter, February 09, 2016. Archived on June 29, 2016.
- Undertale FAQ
- United States Copyright Office
- Toby's old website on Halloween Hack
- “Kenny’s Quest" - YouTube